Earlier today we reached a landmark number – 2500 followers on twitter
Altrincham HQ is unique in that it’s a very hyper local twitter feed, we talk about social media, but the bulk of what we talk about is local issues affecting a small population of 60,000 people
There’s a lot of talk on twitter about quality over quality and we definitely agree – we actively monitor new followers that come in and block spam accounts so that we know the 2500 are all real users – if we could have had an open policy on twitter followers chances are we would have had 15,000+ followers, but with many of little value
What this means …
* Our 2500 are active highly engaged users from primarily Altrincham, but also surrounding areas such as Knutsford, Sale, Manchester
* We are the number 1 local twitter account that local users come to for information
* And if we can’t help we have an army of community supporters ready to step in and help on a RT
Twitter is a great tool for business, but it’s also a way to get actively involved in the local community
* How many things have you found out about Altrincham first on twitter?
* How many local businesses have you sought out off the back of a tweet?
* Have you moved to Altrincham recently and become part of the twitter community?
We’d be interested to hear what you consider a landmark number of followers? And obviously how you monitor new followers
Also it was mentioned at the Empty Shops Seminar recently at Manchester – would you consider a closed facebook group just for you local street? That is the most hyper local you can get and helps to build relationships with your closest neighbours
“With over 12 years experience of Social Media and 17 years experience of online marketing in other companies, clients come to myself when they want a veteran rather than a rookie” Alex McCann